Tuesday, September 22, 2015
11:00 am - 5:00 pm - REGISTRATION
11:45 am - 12:45 pm - LUNCH
12:45 pm - 1:00 pm - Welcome Remarks
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm - GENERAL SESSION
This presentation will focus on how equity analysts/investors view life insurance stocks with a close look at the group business and how it fits into an overall investment thesis for an insurance stock.
- Learn what happens to stocks and what drives their value.
- Hear the current storyline for financial services and insurance and understand the economic and industry trends that are having the most influence.
- Regardless of the ownership form of your company, learn how you can make your business better by looking at it like an analyst does.
- Discover how insurance company executives describe their business (and in particular the group business) to investors and analysts.
Darko Mihelic, CFA - Managing Director, Equity Research Analyst, RBC Capital Markets
2:15 pm - 3:30 pm: CONCURRENT SESSIONS
Moderator: D. WAYNE MILLAR, Assistant Vice President, Product Management, Sun Life Financial
This workshop will look at emerging trends relative to health/ wellness and how biotechnology, Internet of Things, and genomics will have a tectonic impact on our industry.
- Responding to long lived customers
- Leveraging new technology to treat, monitor and drive customers to maximum wellness
- Understanding wellness at the genetic level, opportunities for refining our underwriting analysis.
ANIL SANWAL, Vice President, Group Products, Global Group Reinsurance, RGA
Moderator: ERIN MORRIS, Senior Director, Client Solutions, The Co-operators
Voluntary benefits are gaining traction as a major component of a winning group benefits strategy. Demographic shifts are pointing toward the need to change programs as younger employees look for different elements as well as the ability to customize benefits to meet their individual needs. What works today won’t work tomorrow. To help you build your strategy, you need to know the state of the voluntary benefits market in Canada. This session will provide details on what insurers, employers and brokers have to say about voluntary benefits.
- Voluntary benefits landscape
- Multiple perspectives on the voluntary benefits market in Canada
- Provide input to your company’s voluntary benefits strategy
3:45 pm - 5:00 pm: CONCURRENT SESSIONS
DANIEL HENRY, Regional Vice President, Sun Life
JASON NOVAK, Director, Group Benefits, Great-West Life
Moderator: JAIME HUGESSEN, Vice President, Group Distribution, Empire Life
Join us for a great discussion with Regional Sales Leaders who are wrestling with the sales and distribution issues of the day.
- Best practices in engaging distribution partners to add value
- Advisor versus sales team focus — is there alignment on expectations?
- CRM and sales automation systems — do they help?
- Biggest issues facing sales teams in today’s marketplace
Moderator: JEFF KINCH, Regional Vice President, La Capitale Insurance and Financial Services
Many companies have devoted increased resources to wellness over the last few years. Our presenter offers a variety of perspectives for our audience — as a coordinator of wellness programs for her employer, as a college course instructor, and many years of experience and research in the wellness industry.
- Innovations in workplace wellness
- Framework for building a successful program
- New research
- Employee engagement
5:30 pm - 9:00 pm - LIMRA RECEPTION/DINNER
Wednesday, September 23, 2015
7:15 am - 8:00 am - CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST
8:00 am - 9:15 am - GENERAL SESSION
Senior Group Insurance executives share their opinions on hot-button topics impacting the industry as part of this inaugural all-Canadian panel.
- Learn what’s top of mind for these leaders and what they see as the most pressing areas of focus for the industry.
- Hear from a panel that represents a cross-section of the industry; find out if and how that informs their opinions.
- Get strategic perspectives on challenges and opportunities in the Canadian market.
9:15 am - 9:30 am - NETWORKING BREAK
9:30 am - 10:45 am: CONCURRENT SESSIONS
STEVE MOFFATT, Chief Operating Officer, Green Shield Canada
SCOTT SOUTHWARD, Managing Partner, Business Growth, BBD
Moderator:JAIME HUGESSEN, Vice President, Group Distribution, Empire Life
Hear from three industry leaders about strategic bets that paid off. Find out what their organizations saw as untapped opportunities, why they decided to tackle them and what successes and challenges they experienced along the way. Learn what it takes to say yes to a bold new direction and see it through.
- Perfect timing: SSQ expands by capitalizing on changes in the TPA market
- Green Shield Canada builds a new business by working for their competitors
- Think big: Benefits by Design’s path from six employees to national competitor
KEITH E. WALTER, FSA, FCIA, CFA, Senior Advisor, Deloitte
Moderator: ISABELLE BOUCHARD, FCIA, FSA, Vice President, Group Reinsurance, RGA Life Reinsurance Company of Canada
Advanced analytics and predictive modeling have become mainstream within financial services over the last 15 years. In the past, Property & Casualty insurers have been ahead of Life & Health insurers in the integration of advanced analytics into core operations. Now, advanced analytics is seen as a core strategic capability by a growing number of companies across the insurance industry and is transforming both P&C and Life & Health insurance. This session will consider how advanced analytics and predictive modeling have been successfully applied in both P&C and Group Life & Health insurers, and provide opportunities to learn from the developments across the insurance industry.
10:45 am - 11:00 am - NETWORKING BREAK
11:00 am - 12:15 pm - GENERAL SESSION
MARIO MALATESTA, GBA, President, GroupQuest Benefit Resources, Inc
MICHAEL SANFORD, Principal, Eckler Ltd
NOEL MACKAY, CEBS, Senior Consultant, The Williamson Group
Moderator: JEFF KINCH, Assistant Vice President, La Capitale Insurance and Financial Services
Join us for an interesting discussion with our panel of group insurance advisors. Gain insight on the business issues facing our distribution partners and how carrier partners can work more effectively with these entities.
- What are the biggest challenges and how are firms preparing for these?
- How are clients making purchase and retention decision today versus the past?
- What aspects of “value” are clients treating with highest priority?
- What services do clients value most?
- How can carriers provide the most support in this changing environment?